Friday, October 12, 2007

Band life

A random post about band and some of the instruments I play.

===================================

Learning tuba started in sec1. I didn't turn up for the 1st band prac of RV for sec1. so I was only asked to try the lower brasses because there were still not enuf players for lower brasses that time. Dunno y, but it seems that I was able to play quite a loud "sound" when I tried the tuba. and.. ms chan said "eh you play tuba!" haha. nobody dares to defy her orders :P

so I was in the tuba section. my SL at that time was a 神 and was able to sightread almost EVEYTHING because he had piano diploma and his musical skills were zai. he was even asked to teach the recruits music theory. quite a good 启蒙老师 for me. but the problem with my section that time was they always pontan band prac. so I was quite pathetic. haha sec1 and always left on my own. I remembered I even had to sightread El Camino Real myself in sec1. but of course, i can only play the straightforward rhythms that time. but maybe that had grilled me to become better at sightreading haha :P

the next SL kept pontanning band so i was made the SL in sec3. I think it was a more cheerful section then as there were more sec1s and they were always self-entertaining and thus, entertaining for me too. haha. I left the band with a nice united Tuba section.

=============================

In JC, I initially thought of switching to Eupho. but like in every band, tubists are rare and tubists are sort of "the more the merrier". So... I was back in Tuba section. 4 tubists. quite a luxury for a JC band. It was during my JC days when I would stay back almost everyday to self-prac and just jam with other ppl with the CD player. When SYF is approaching, we saw the need to upgrade our skills. So usually before or after band pracs, me weiping and kenny would ARBAN together or play every 13 scales long notes. Those were the times when we thought that band was everything in our lives. at least as long as we go for lects, we could juz play music for the rest of the time.

Student conductor role was tough. i started with the intention of learning how to conduct. even audition was just a try-try thing. i really dunno how i managed to "convince" ppl to vote for me. but ya, i've to do my role since i got the post. I remembered working out practice schedules for the band just as wat Mr Leonard Tan is doing with NUSWS now. but, our plans didn't always work. haha...

SYF during the SARS period plus a tough concert repertoire. sneaking into band rooms on Vesak day during the SARS period and getting caught by the seurity guard. climbing gates when they were closed. working out chords for Gloriosa during lessons. and then, it was my first time crying so terribly in public when we realised when did not get into Top 5 as expected.

it was in HCJC band when we formed Jiemeiz. a group of dedicated players and fun people :)

=====================================

again, when i joined NUSWS, i wanted to see whether I can switch to Euphos. But it seems that eupho section din have enuf instruments. and so, I'm back to tuba. But tubas also not enuf instruments. So Maria had to leave the band to let me return after my India trip so that I can play for InTempo 05. so i was back to the Tuba section again.

Librarian post with SL of lower brasses. but i was glad i was closer to the tbones section (cos eupho and the rest of the tubist were MIA) haha. at least some ppl outside my cosy RV gang. yupz, opening up. going for more gatherings and knowing more people. It was fun and hard work for Genesis and InTempo 05. Repertoire was very much our own decision because the conductor Dr Mak at time wasn't a symphonic person. InTempo was a challenging concert. but I felt that we needed more directions other than just playing difficult pieces.

Dr Mak announced his leave and the band was looking for new conductors. Was asked by Cloud to contact Mr Leonard Tan who was my sec sch and NUSWS tuba tutor. and ta da, he was selected to be NUSWS new conductor :)

Music under Mr Tan was very fresh (from the oven!) and he has a high expectation for us. Learnt alot of things under him too! Concerts rock :P haha...

Mugging group was formed. Dinpering and mugging together with bandits was fun. because sometimes, when i mug with non-pharmacy ppl, i dun feel so "pharmacy" haha! it was less stressful and more fun.

MHM was formed like... a few days before InTempo 07 to prepare the Marshmallow Honey Stars which we made for the whole band. They are Cloud, Nick and Yokes.

More outings. More new frenz. I'm glad my tuba section is now a healthy (would be healthier if Derek stop smoking) cheerful section which never fails to celebrate birthdays for each other. I think, we're the first section to have an individual tuner :)

===================================

Da Capo 07 would probably be the last concert I would be playing the tuba. Actually wanted to stop playing after this sem because I've heard rumours saying that Pharmacy last sem would be damn shiong, with at least 1 test each week, and of course, I've my FYP thingy to complete.

But Symphony No. 3 is such a temptation. The band needs 6 cellists. I would probably play the cello since I guess I dun have to turn up for all the band pracs. probably no sects oso :P

if after my graduation and my occupation is too hectic, I may just disappear from the band scene. of course, i wouldn't want that to happen. But i guess life is just too unpredictable.

I better make sure I treasure this Da Capo concert experience, as much as I wouldn't be able to play tuba anymore.

sounds so sad :(

i think if i weren't so academically inclined, I may just go into the band scene or music scene. but again, probably i cant do that with a tuba which is logistically challenging. i sometimes wish that i play the eupho or the tbone. actually think that tbone is very cool and somemore, i've been told that i got the tbone face :P

then again, Pharmacy is too tough a course for me to give up, having come so far.

let me make use of this blog entry to thank all bandits who make me luv band life so much :)

No comments: